Show your work, Open
Winifred Burkle
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 02:35 AM
Gigil
is Offline
17 posts
Angel
Scientist, Paranormal Investigator

Ever since the event she had spent her time in a hotel room. She couldn't find her apartment if it was anywhere out there and Wolfram and Hart was now some insurance building. She had gathered up anything she could find about this event and had papers scrambled all over the floor and bed. Among the papers where all the crumbled up notepaper of her failed ideas. Having run out of paper she took to writing on the wall. This was a nervous habit she picked up from her stint in a hell dimension. By this point she was wrapping up an equation while muttering, "Th double fissure should acquire a predictable patterns if the overlay tissue is.... If it's- .03 divided by the desired tissue thickness which was... which was." With a disappointing frown she swiped out an X under the variable she didn't know.

There was so many variables that seem to be by chance rather than following a predictable pattern which was frustrating because just about anything in observable science could be quantified. Even magic could be quantified measured and repeatable. This, however just felt like she was trying to create a formula to predict the next lottery numbers. No, no, not just predicting the probability but actually being able to follow a string of variables that will give the numbers in order without any margin for error. Turning around she picked up a clunky device made from the tv, microwave, lamp and fire alarm that she gathered from this hotel room. To think they were more worried about people stealing towels.

Her watch started beeping and she looked startled and quickly unhooked the device from the wall and hurried up exiting the room. As soon as she shut the door she remembered she forgot her key-card. She hit the door and cursed, then noticed she wasn't alone in the hall way and made eye contact with the cleaning lady. There was awkward silence as the women looked at the device in her hand then back to Fred. Fred put on a big smile, "It's uh. Not a trigger to a bomb." The women went from a passive curiously to concern. Fred waved her free hand, " No really, it's okay. See it's fine. I uh. Okay, lets just-. Shit you're going to call the police." The women then turn and ran. Fred frantically waved toward her. Then sighed, no time to try to explain she'd only have an hour to get the reading she wanted. So went up to the elevator where people were already inside and looked to her then to what she was holding. Fred looked down to the device then to them, "It's not a... uh, I'm going to just take the stairs." So she hurried down the stairs and was sprinted past the front desk where the cleaning lady was pointing after her and speaking loudly but Fred didn't slow down.

As soon as she approached the way-point she frantically flipped some switches and manually sparked two wires to get the thing started. Then she started sweeping the area which seemed to be just a random street corner. She was still breathing hard from running and was trying to ignore the distant sound of police sirens. Frustrated she made a mocking tone as she muttered, "It's not a trigger to a bomb..." Then under her breath cursed at how stupid she was for accidentally scaring the poor women. She wasn't overly worried since she didn't do anything wrong it would just be inconvenient to try to explain things

Show your work
Somewhere in LA -Open - scanning crossroads with strange invention

--------------------
user posted image
Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes, we'll fight it and we'll keep fightin' it until we whup it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" -Winifred Burkle
PMEmail
^
Data
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 05:29 AM
Arch
is Offline
17 posts
Star Trek: TNG
Operations Manager

"No, it is closer to a tricorder," Data pointed out, when he heard the woman's statement. It's not a trigger to a bomb. If she was speaking sarcastically, he missed it entirely. He was, at least, pleased in a sense to see that someone had technology even remotely similar to what he was used to. Even if it was a rudimentary attempt at such technology, and not truly something from the 24th century.

He had been walking down the street, exploring the area, when he had noticed her running. He hadn't redirected himself, no; she had just happened to end up standing nearby, and he had good enough hearing. "Are you alright?" Her heartrate was going fast and strong, probably because she had been running. It almost looked like she'd been running from something, so he had to ask.

He was dressed like a civilian; blended in pretty well, except... well, except for the unnaturally pale skin, and yellow irises. There wasn't much he could do about those. People seemed to avoid him like he had the plague or something (he'd heard someone use that phrase, anyway..?), so he hadn't had much luck gaining information about this 'Earth' through conversation.

He was wearing a blue tshirt and khaki pants, something the shuttle's computer database had said would look ordinary enough in this century. Yet, people were still giving him odd looks that he didn't quite understand.

It probably had something to do with the fact that no one seemed to believe in or know about aliens...or androids. It did seem to complicate things.
PM
^
Winifred Burkle
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 06:21 AM
Gigil
is Offline
17 posts
Angel

The chunky device kept making little beeps like one might hear from a microwave which prompted her to change directions. It was very lucky for Fred that this wasn't a busy time for cars which is good because she was very focused on the little display screen trying to memorize the numbers as they appeared. It didn't mean she didn't hear Data or that she wouldn't respond. So when he observed it was closer to a tricorder she bobbed her head and responded in a fast pace rambling sort of manner while watching it," Exactly! Sadly, it's not nearly as versatile. I'm basically just trying to calculate the super positioning of this dimension by measuring the density on a quantum level. " She did a little laugh at the inside joke they were about to share, " Obviously, I can't do that with just a hotel microwave and blow dryer parts. So I'm echoing small spikes of radiation in timed intervals to test the elasticity of well, potential fissure. Which is a whole 'nother set of variables that I have to research. " In simple terms this little machine had one job. At the rate she was going and with the equipment she had it was unlikely she'd be able to accomplish what she was talking about in her life time. The way she talked was a mix of excitement and panic. The thrill of having a science breakthrough but the fear of what it all amounts to.

Now that she was resting her breathing was started to calm down. She only did a passing glance at him when he asked if she was alright. She was trying not to be rude but at the same time the little machine was demanding her attention, " Oh me? I'm fine, I mean there may or may not be police coming for me do to the fact I may or may not have terrified a cleaning lady into thinking I'm a terrorist. Not intentionally, I just thought that she thought it was a trigger device and I was trying to say it's not. and it's not. But you know that. Hopefully the police do as well. But yeh, otherwise hunkie dorie! I mean other than the fact that we might be in the middle of the big crunch. You know how space is rapidly expanding then it rapidly contracts and all of space and time gets pushed in on itself and it's the end of the world. Well end of all worlds, end of well everything. But hey what's one more Armageddon! I'm not sure if I should be proud that the end is science related and not a result of some evil demon or well a lawfirm. Well that's my hypothesis at-least. I wouldn't have believed it would happen in my lifetime but hey time is irrelevant." To anyone else her rambling nature might be a sign of mental illness but for the most part her science and paranoia was well founded. Well up to the point where she thinks demons or lawfirms can result in end of days. Overall, she was pretty optimistic about this impending doom.

She pushed up her glasses and the little device beeped and then a few sparks came out the side. Fred didn't even seem startled by that as she just blew on the side then roughly tapped the side to knock something back in place. Once she was done she turned it off then looked over to Data properly, " Sorry I didn't really mean to.-well frighten you with uh, my theory. I mean I could be wrong. It's en-" As she walked closer she adjusted her glasses and then just going to gawk at him. She almost dropped her device when her arms went a little weak, " Are you..- Oh wow. Am I having that dream again?" She didn't give any clues as to what, 'that dream' might be about. Then she shook her head, " I'm uh scientist. the head scientist, or was it. Lead of the science depart- I'm Fred." She said quickly abandoning the official title for something less formal.

Show your work
SOMEWHERE IN LA -Data - might look crazy

--------------------
user posted image
Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes, we'll fight it and we'll keep fightin' it until we whup it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" -Winifred Burkle
PMEmail
^
Data
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 02:27 PM
Arch
is Offline
17 posts
Operations Manager

Ah, a scientist. Yes? His head tilted slightly to one side, cognizant of the fact that she had yet to actually look up at him, for more than a quick instant. "May I ask why you are measuring the density of this dimension?" he.. well, asked. Of course he could come to some conclusions on his own; the Event, as he had heard several people say, seemed to be that people from other.. realities were cropping up. But he also knew that rumors and word of mouth were often very inaccurate. Neither was he entirely willing to trust the 'scientific' discoveries about the dimension made by people with 21st century science.

But, what she said seemed sound. A bit of it was...fantastical, but after all, Data had spent many years aboard the Enterprise; there wasn't that much that was too fantastic for him to believe.

Armageddon was something he had not actually heard before; his head tilted again, slightly, and his mouth opened to ask, but she kept on chatting away until the conversation had steered far past 'Armageddon,' and onto other things. He'd have to reserve the question for later.

"Are demons common here?" he asked instead, choosing his words.. somewhat carefully. As far as he knew, there were no demons on twenty first century Earth, but if she was right, and several different 'dimensions' were pulling together, that..

Well, that actually answered a lot of unanswered questions. Almost hesitantly, he pulled from his pocket a tricorder, and turned it on, holding it up slightly, to get more of the readings that Fred had been looking for.

And that was about the time that she seemed to actually notice him. "You did not frighten me," he assured her smoothly. He lowered the tricorder, letting his attention focus more on her. His eyebrows rose, and he sort of... smiled. "And this is no dream. It is nice to meet you.. . Fred. I am Data." He could have given his title, but considering he was making some attempt at appearing human and from this planet.. He left it off. You know, because having a name like 'Data' and having white skin didn't give things away already.
PM
^
Winifred Burkle
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 03:03 PM
Gigil
is Offline
17 posts
Angel

His question surprised her. Not because she thought the answer was so obvious that anyone should know it but that he cared. Most people just let her ramble and wait for her to ask them to do something. No one actually pried her for more information before so it more or less threw her off. Tucking some hair behind her ear she responded in a little bit slower, because she didn't expect him to follow what she had been saying prior, " Well if I find out the density then I can find the weak spots or predict where they are. Each fissure would have a unique signature or pattern as to figure out where they would connect. At the very least figure out how much time this universe has left and maybe how to reverse it." She did a heavy sigh. Seemed like a tall order for one girl to burden herself with and with such insufficient information to attempt.

When he asked about demons she did an erupt sudden laugh that sounded a bit insane, " Are they coming? They are all over. Most just look like people, until. Well, until they don't. Not all of them are evil though! Not sayin' that. Just, well. I really shouldn't be telling you about any of this. I'm not racist, some of my best friends are demons. Wow that just makes me sound more racist. Just- forget about the whole demon thing. Mostly nothing to worry about, until they become something to worry about. That's true about anything." She rambled a bit more while she worked. It might be evident that since she is so focused on her device and thinking that she isn't really working to maintain any kind of verbal filter.

After she noticed him and was gawking she eventually covered her mouth in awe of him. Like she still couldn't believe he was real. She almost squealed but it came out as a high pitched little squeak at the sight of the tricorder, then she tried to play it cool and did a little half smile, " Well mine can bake a potato." A unintended side effect of her invention. She set her device down and quickly almost launched at him with her hand out to shake his. " I am- It's an honor. Data. You- here I thought the closest I'd ever come to meeting a robot is one programmed to love, well make love which is gross and all kinds of wrong. Oh god, is that offensive? I don't think of you as just-" Awkwardly she was trying to save face, " I mean obviously you are far more advance than anything that could come from my time. Oh shoot this still comes off as condescending like your not real. You are real! Really here. Really talking to me. -" Her eyes were wide with embarrassment, " Now I hope the world ends right now, because I sound like the biggest idiot." She covered her mouth as to try to stop the awkward.

thread title
SOMEWHERE IN LA -DATA - MIGHT LOOK CRAZY

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Data
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 06:02 PM
Arch
is Offline
17 posts
Operations Manager

Data listened to her theories, and yes, he was actually interested. It seemed they were researching the same thing. "There may be some temporal anomaly at work as well," he suggested. "It is what I have been searching for." He had not considered this as a different reality just yet, because evidence had suggested only the former.. But now that she brought it up, he felt compelled to look into that, as well.

They are all over. Again, with the slight headtilt, Data gave her something of a confused look. "My records have always stated demons to be.. falsehoods. Myths. Legend." Also religious, but those were the theories of old. Then again, if this was another dimension, then perhaps there were demons here, where there weren't, normally. "Hm." With a thoughtful frown, he looked down at his tricorder, as if expecting to see some evidence of demons show up on it.

More rambling on her part ensued, and he could only react with a slightly perplexed expression. "I am an android--I have no emotions with which to be offended," he assured her lightly, completely unbothered. While it seemed unlikely that she could accurately just guess that he was a 'robot,' she was not the first to do so.

"It is an honor to meet you as well--Fred." He was slightly curious, as that was a traditionally male name, at least according to what he had logged in his memory. Then again, 'Data' was not the most ordinary of names, either. "Perhaps we can work on this issue together, and find a solution," he suggested after a moment. "I have not been able to contact the Enterprise since my arrival here. The Enterprise's sensors are much stronger than either of our-" He threw a non-judgmental glance at her potato-cooking machine, "tricorders. Perhaps we can find the source of the interference?"
PM
^
Winifred Burkle
 Posted: Nov 15 2014, 10:53 AM
Gigil
is Offline
17 posts
Angel

When he made the observation about time she raised a approving finger, " Exactly, time. But not just time, things. Important things, like how the place I used to work for is now an insurance building, when it's been about since the being and I'd bet the ending of time." She paused and added, " I'm exaggerating just a tiny bit, but you get the idea. The temporal anomaly doesn't explain the absence of large muilty-dimensional organizations. At-least the LA Branch. I'm not too keen to track down the other locations just yet. Also have you seen those whole, whats-it, Ipads! I think they can do more than a Personal Access Display Device! Unless those can play angrybirds as well." Very mixed places about her previous place of employment also from before some of the more modern advances yet knowledge of future technology.

Her whole believing in demons thing could be that she's from a point in human history that still believes that sort of thing or even that she is confusing aliens for Demons. However, in her world there are demons. " This isn't my first venture into an alternate dimension, the other one was a homeworld for demons who didn't much think highly of humans." She did a strained sort of smile and quickly moved on not wanting to think about it. Instead she scooted closer to him in a invading of personal space sort of way to look at what he was looking at. She was trying to figure out what he was scanning for or even how to use the tricorder. Honestly it wouldn't take her long to learn but not something she can do at a glance, right after his hm she responded with a "hm?" Then looked up to him to see if he scanned something interesting.

She didn't look very comforted by his reassuring, " Oh, well I won't argue because I'm keen on movin past this little mess but I think you are just trying to be polite. Either way, I'm sorry for being the biggest insensitive jerkface." This was followed by her relaxing and offering him a comforting smile. Like that she was moving on because forward was always her favorite direction.

She bowed her head slightly after the introductions. Then he offered to work with her. While she may be smart she didn't see or predict him of all people of wanting to work with her. Fred was a humble little thing who didn't really see what she could offer some of the greatest minds in this world which is why she works alone. There was a long pause of shock and giddy laughter, this sort of thing is exactly how many erotic trekkie fan fictions start. Not that she'd know since she's from a time before the internet and blogging community got big.

It might seem that Data had broke Fred since she was just so excited and giddy that she almost forgot to respond to his question. Which all she could manage at first was just nodding of her head. It wasn't till after his next question about the tricorders that she was even able to utter a startling loud, " Yes!" Then she cleared her throat and gave a more controlled, " I'd be, honored. More than honored. To help you, help us.. Uh- help this whole thing." She wiped her face and fanned herself to calm down. Internally thinking she had to channel Jean Luc Picard. She took one more breath and then was calm enough to speak without sounding like a teenage girl who just got asked to the prom by Edward Cullen. With a more professional tone befitting of a science officer she started, " If you want we can return to my hotel room-oh wait. The police will be waiting for me. Huh. We could start with what you have come up with so far. I'm sure it far surpases anything I scribbled on the walls." She said modestly, even though she is a pretty good authority to turn to on dimensional travels as she's opened and sealed quite a few of them.

user posted image

thread title
SOMEWHERE IN LA -DATA - Happier than templeton at the fairground

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Data
 Posted: Nov 17 2014, 05:16 PM
Arch
is Offline
17 posts
Operations Manager

"Indeed," Data responded. "This Earth we are on now is significantly different than what you remember," he concluded. It meant that she, at least, was of a different dimension, or had had her memories altered. But considering his own presence here, the former hypothesis was much more viable. "Your analysis aligns with my observations regarding this planet," he told her. "I have seen several pieces of technology that were not created until 2021, being used here. I have also found other individuals who seem to be lost, as we are, too."

She spoke of other dimensions and of demons, and he had to conclude that either she was of a religion that believed in the religious connotation of 'demon,' or that on some other dimension there were beings that had such a name. Either were possible. Something else stuck to him however, whie she was speaking. "There is no need to apologize," he assured her again, completely indifferent to the whole escapade. He was neither embarrassed nor upset. "Inquiry--what is 'Angry Birds'?" he asked her. His head shooks lightly, and he lowered the tricorder to allow her to see.

The device was small enough to hold in his hand, with a hinge in the middle to suggest it could be collapsed into an even smaller shape. From there,there were numerous lights and buttons that did different things, and a screen in the center. The screen had a series of bars on them signifying different levels of radiation and other chemicals or energy in the air. His other hand held the tiny scanner, about the size of an eraser.

He held off his explanation of the hm, as she had still more to say, and it could easily wait. "You should never doubt your own abilities. Your experiences are different from my own--you will have different ideas, and perspectives." With that, he nodded slightly, and offered something of a smile. "If your hotel room is insufficient, perhaps we could return to my shuttle, instead?" He folded the tricorder up, and hooked it back onto his pants neatly. "It is in orbit, now."
PM
^
Winifred Burkle
 Posted: Dec 1 2014, 06:30 PM
Gigil
is Offline
17 posts
Angel

In life there are psychological stages for dealing with things. The most well known one is the 7 stages of grief, but what are the stages for dealing with a fantasy come to life. If Fred was an example of these stages then it could be described as such. First stage: Shock, a complete inability to reason with what is playing out before her. This girl was not one to succumb to shock. She had lived through so many trials where any amount of hesitation would have caused the death of her or the death of someone she cared about. That being said, shock from something this fantastic was rare. Well, rare in that it just doesn't happen. Which brings to Stage two: Awe, she was accepting the fact that he was really here that this was what going on right now no matter how many statistical data it crossed. She was a mathematical genius so the gravity of this moment was not lost on her. Which brings us to the third stage: Denial. This wasn't a weak grasp on reality but in fact a very solid observation of the facts and a careful attention to detail that has kept her alive through, quite literally, hell.

As he spoke the realization of something sinister was slowly seeking in. This was perfect, which caused her to slowly look away from him and a look of pure horror replaced her once elated look. Out of nowhere she said out loud, " Too perfect. Your.- No...no...noo, no." She looked to him then quickly looked away, suddenly hyper aware and trying to take in every detail of this moment, " I'm not really here. You're, well- whats more likely? That I somehow got pulled into a dimension where I can get a front row seat to the biggest event in galactic history next to the big bang?! Oh-ho a-and where Data, himself, wants to take meeee on an adventure to find the star-ship Enterprise! Then let me guess, I meet your crew and get fitted for my very own uniform- and we travel and time starts running out and then something happens and I get a epiphany that you trust and we correct the anomalies and save the universe! " She kept moving her hands to illustrate this fantastic story for how observed it is.

The fact that all of this was fake to her didn't ease any burden if anything there was more fear, and after her little rant her hands were shaking, " There are demons, spells, magic that can do this. Make a world where you are happy, but not too happy. I mean too happy and too perfect would stand out. But this is a clue, it can't tell the difference between a fantasy and a-a what is possible. Okay, so now it makes sense, I mean you can understand the logic in this? I mean, in your world I'm just a crazy lady who believes in demons and magic, that I am just calling it that because it is something I can't understand. Okay, okay. Um, how can I put this. This is like a Vulcan mind meld where the Vulcan isn't a passive observer or showing information but instead trapping the person in a world that is like a personal holodeck that is guided and filled with the users memories and daydreams to, to... What end? I don't know. But considering my position, then perhaps it's to make me a complaisant hostage, or to get me to do something here that will compromise my team.- Something, isn't right with that. I mean, last time something like this happened I felt completely enthralled in the illusion. I never even thought to question it. So, maybe I'm wrong." She was verbally working this out while she paced and spoke really fast. This was just how her mind worked, she wasn't completely crazy and was extremely aware of how this all sounded because even in her own world she would be regarded as insane for saying some of these things.

She frowned and then turned her hand up, " Then again maybe it knew that and by allowing me the chance to question it would make me trust it even more. I mean, in a dream you don't really stop to think about how you are suddenly naked in front of everyone. You just are." She let her hands fall to her side, " Well, I guess this is the point where Alice decides to start chasing the white rabbit. So until I figure it out, then yes, lets see how deep this rabbit hole goes. If you want. I know how this all sounds I really do, and if you are really here and this is all real then I hope I get a chance to look back on it and laugh. It's just things like this happen a lot. Just last month my boss had a parasite that got him stuck in a coma, which was a dream. His was more of a nightmare." Even after all of what she had said there was a logical reason for her to agree to go with him, because if she was inflicted then there really isn't many alternatives since she is already imprisoned so moving forward would give her more clues. She did seem afraid still, but then again with her experience and knowledge fear would be the burden.

((ooc: still not back on own computer, so sorry not formatted and late. Hope we can still move forward. Lol, she is a tad bit more crazy sounding then I intended to play her but that's because of pandemonium!!! you try being a physics scientist in the middle of this world. ))

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

• c
  • b
  • o
  • x
AFFILIATES/RESOURCES

RPG-DRed Carpet & RebellionDDRDistant Fantasies BACK TO NEVERLAND

Good News Everyone, it's a Futurama RP!

Afterhour Mayhem ysm Tales of Unity